I've had a request for pictures of the chore charts I made for Braden and Chris. Let me tell ya, they're works of art... well, at least they do the job (no pun intended). In the "Do It" pocket, I put an index card with each of their personal daily chores (get dressed, clean bedroom, homework, etc.), one card for each chore. I have index cards for 'family' chores that only need to be done every few days (clean the toilets, scrub sinks, vacuum, dust, etc.), and I rotate those cards into the pockets as they need to be done. On school days I only give each boy one 'family' chore on top of their personal chores, but on weekends or days off from school, they get 3 or 4. At the bottom of the chart are spaces for each day of the week. The boys get to put a sticker in the box when their chores for that day have all been moved to the 'Done' pocket. At the end of the week I give them a few dollars, based on how many stickers are on their charts. They can earn extra stickers by being extra helpful, or doing more jobs than are required for that day. It's simple, and so far, it's worked really well... most of the time. We still have our days, but overall, things have gone much smoother since I started using the charts. Dave just kindly pointed out that it must work well, judging from the pictures... there's only two stickers on there. Okay, so we had a rough week. AND, they only get to put up a sticker if they can move ALL their cards to the 'Done' pocket. Thanks for the encouragement, babe.
Our little boy, under construction
15 years ago


3 comments:
A few questions. Do you use special stickers, or do regular stickers come off easily enough? Also, how exactly do the pockets work? How did you attach them to the background? Or did you just cut a slit in the back ground, and stick the cards through the hole? (I guess what I'm really asking is whether you taped/glued the pockets on the front or on the back, and how you keep them from falling off)
I cut out rectangles of white cardstock and taped them in the position I wanted, then laminated the whole thing. After laminating, I cut a slit along the top of the rectangles with a razor blade. They've held up pretty good. I just use regular stickers. Since the charts are laminated, the stickers just peel right off.
Just wanted to let you know I finally made the chore charts. The kids were super excited to move their cards from the one pocket to the next. They did all their chores saturday without much complaining, and got their allowance today. I do have a question about the chores your kids do.. what does Stew do? I can't seem to think of age appropriate chores for G. What was the name of that book again??
Post a Comment