slideshow

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Helping Hands

The kids are on spring break this week, so I've been trying to find things to fill their extra time. Recently I put our chore charts back up, after a long break due to all the moving. This week, the boys have found more chore cards than usual in their slots. Surprisingly, no complaints! Today, Chris and Braden helped me organize all the toys (for the millionth time), vacuum the whole house (they did it, not me), dust, wash clothes, unload the dishwasher, etc. Earlier this week, they cleaned toilets, scrubbed sinks, swept floors, and put away clean clothes. They've been really busy. I promised them they could put up extra stickers on their chore charts (therefore earning extra allowance) if they were good helpers. They've both been very enthusiastic about it, doing extra chores without me asking, but Chris takes the cake. As I was sitting here at my computer, he came in, carrying a poopy diaper with a huge grin on his face. "I changed Ellie's diaper, mom!", he proclaimed with triumph! I was shocked, and a little scared of what I would find. Chris assured me he'd wiped her off really well and kept the dirty diaper under her until he was done "so no poop got on the carpet". Sure enough, Ellie was clean and happy. With a little adjusting of the tape, she had a perfectly changed diaper on, thanks to her big six-year-old brother!

4 comments:

Angel said...

That's pretty amazing that a six year old would -want- to change a poopy diaper. You need to bottle up that enthusiasm!

Jessica said...

How you get them to do it without complaining is still a mystery to me. But I am very excited to start this program as well. A picture of your chore charts please?

Kristy and Erik said...

Wow I am so amazed. Do they want to come to my house. I pay really good? NO that is awesome. Haydan, I don't think he would touch a poopy diaper let alone change one.

Anonymous said...

I'm so pleased!! It is really a trick to get kids to help willingly!! I think it has something to do with the joy of being productive.

PS I love your blog. Thanks for keeping it. Remember to print it out from time to time. ....what a wonderful family history.