Name? Not yet. He's lying in his crib next to me grunting in his sleep. Cute little bug. Big hands, dimples, sparse brown hair, 7.14 and 21". Perfect. Tiff knows what she's doing.
So here's my story... to be published before Tiff wakes up and has a chance to smack me for the embellishments. Truth is, more than just the backbone is accurate. The blessings for our family are numerous and I thank God. I thank God.
So, the alarm sounded normally at 5:15 a.m. Ellie had been in our room early in the morning and forced to sleep on the heater vent instead of unleashing the entirety of her wrath on our sleep by climbing into our bed. I got ready for work, gave Tiff a kiss, asked how she was doing, and left about 5:35.
I had just settled into the work day, working on the process for the weekly report, mapping out how the day was going to shape up, not giving a thought to Tiff going into labor. She'd been having contractions off and on for quite a while, so we knew he who shall soon be named would be coming.
I got a call from Tiff about 6:45 and knew before I answered it was time to go. Tiff confirmed it and requested I drive the 25 mins back to home to get her and drive the 35 minutes back into SLC to the hospital. I called her crazy for choosing LDS hospital a long time ago due to the distance and navigational prowess required to get here. We didn't leave the house until 7:50 after Tiff had piddled around the house at her leisure - I left the urgency up to her to evaluate. I could tell it was time to get moving as she was starting to have to lean against the wall during the contractions. She was still being slow.
I finally got her in the car and began navigating the morning rush hour traffic to the hospital. The contractions were 1-2 mins apart, and based on her history, the baby was coming now! We passed a police car on the shoulder, and I had half a moment wondering if I should pull over behind him and ask for an escort. We passed by. Tiff telling me to drive faster. Me telling Tiff to focus on her issues and leave the driving to me. I'm keeping an eye on aggressive drivers, my speed, and my laboring wife - trying to do what I can to help her through the obviously difficult contractions.
We made it to downtown SLC, settling nicely into the morning traffic. Turned up the road leading to the hospital, stopping at every intersection since the cross traffic has the right-of-way at each one, and smiling as I smoothly dodged the larger pot-holes while trying to minimize the change in velocity.
Pulled into the rotunda, signed for a wheelchair, carted Tiff up to the proper floor, got her changed and on her bed, and literally 4 minutes later the birth was over. The nurse was annoyed, the on-call mid-wife still trying to gather herself. Tiff was not responding well to instructions not to push. Nature wasn't calling, no video chat, text, or IM. Nature was there in the room, demanding to be satisfied.
It's all over and I witness the physical change in Tiff's face as the relief sets in and she's holding her new boy close to her heart - where he will now remain. She loves her kids so much and it never amazes me how quickly her disposition turns from agony to ecstasy as she snuggles her newborn.
I love her. I love him.


7 comments:
I don't even know what to say...I can't believe it...How lucky you are that there was not a baby born in the car:) I am glad that everyone is safe and sound. He is a beautiful baby. Tiff, you are such a strong woman, and Dave, you aren't so bad yourself:) I love you all. Can't wait to meet the new little man:)
-Andy
so happy for you guys! congrats! I can't believe he was born that fast! holy schmoly! he is handsome! Can I bring you guys dinner the day you get home? Let me know when it is and I will bring it over.
SO happy for your darling family!!
Congratulations!!!! I am so glad everyone is safe and sound. He is adorable.
You got me scared there at the beginning of the story! Funny how the nurse was annoyed! Normally they get annoyed when you come in too early. None of that with Tiff!! I really wish I could could that little cutie, and talk to Tiff. Good luck, and ask her to teach me to have my baby that fast!!
I'm so happy! I love you all three and four.
What about naming him Able? Call him Ab. Well, maybe not. But Ab is cute.
Congrats! He is adorable! I am so happy for you that you made it there in time, although giving birth in the car would have been a much more dramatic story. :) Best wishes to your family and good luck with your new adventure that lies ahead!
Way to go Dave! Got to the hospital on time AND took over the blog. I'm impressed. Although admittedly a little part of me was hoping to hear that you delivered the little guy yourself.
And Tiff, you're awesome doing that 5 times, raising so many boys, supporting Dave's career, etc. What a cool family you have. And that baby looks just like your other children already!
Hope all is still going well, we should get together sometime when we go down to Utah to visit Marie's mom.
Todd
Post a Comment